Title: PROGRAMME SPECIALIST (SOCIAL AND HUMAN SCIENCES)
Domain: Social and Human Sciences – Social Transformations
Post Number: SHS 158
Organizational Unit: SECTOR OF SOCIAL AND HUMAN SCIENCES
Primary Location: FR-Paris
Recruitment open to: Internal and external candidates
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Salary: 74 644 Euros (Annual Salary)
Deadline (Midnight Paris Time): January 12, 2017
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General, Social and Human Sciences (ADG/SHS), the guidance of the Director of Division for Social Transformations and Intercultural Dialogue (DIR/SHS/TCD) and under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Intercultural Dialogue Section, the incumbent is responsible for ensuring the development and delivery of a variety of sectoral and cross-sectoral projects and initiatives related to Intercultural Dialogue and a Culture of Peace. He/she will implement, monitor and report on programme priorities and projects in close cooperation with relevant Field Offices.
Within this context, the incumbent will:
- Contribute to the development of Action Plans for the promotion of intercultural dialogue in the context of the International Decade for the Rapprochement of Cultures (2013-2022) : provide substantial input and advice to a broad range of stakeholders at different levels (Intergovernmental Organizations (IGOs), Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and relevant networks/institutions), and backstopping to colleagues at Headquarters and in Field Offices.
- Implement, monitor, evaluate and report on programmes and projects and elaborate new and innovative initiatives and strategies for the promotion of intercultural dialogue and the culture of peace, notably in the areas of research, learning and capacity-building.
- Prepare statutory documents and draft decisions on key priorities identified by the governing bodies, as well as briefings, concept notes, press releases, etc; participate in the preparation of the UN Secretary-General’s annual report on Intercultural and Interreligious Dialogue and a Culture of Peace, and propose relevant themes for inclusion in UNESCO’s Mid-Term Strategy (C/4) and Quadrennial Programme and Budget (C/5).
- Organize international meetings and global fora with partners and stakeholders at different levels, including through the preparation of programme agendas, high-level statements and declarations, outreach strategies, advocacy and visibility measures, and follow-up on productions and publications;
Undertake the identification/development of partnerships, the mobilization of extra-budgetary funding and resources and the preparation/coordination of reports to donors.
- Advanced university degree in the field of social and human sciences, humanities or in related areas. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience in the field of Social and Human Sciences, Humanities or in related areas, of which at least 2 years at the international level.
- Proven experience in designing and implementing programmes/projects and demonstrated expertise in the field of Intercultural Dialogue and/or a Culture of Peace.
- Experience in the organization of international conferences, meetings and events.
- Very good knowledge and understanding of UNESCO’s mandate in the field of intercultural dialogue, culture of peace, and the International Decade for the Rapprochement of Cultures (2013-2022).
- Excellent organizational and project design skills.
- Excellent analytical skills with proven ability to undertake research, collect and synthesise information from various sources.
- Good knowledge in fund-raising and/or other resource mobilization mechanisms.
- Excellent (oral and written) communication skills, with proven ability to draft clearly and concisely.
- Capacity to establish and to maintain effective working relations and partnerships with a wide range of stakeholders (relevant institutions, inter-governmental and non-governmental organizations) at all levels.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively in a team and to maintain effective working relations within a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet tight deadlines.
- Good IT skills, including knowledge of standard office software.
- Excellent/very good knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other language.
Relevant experience in the UN system or in other international development cooperation organization.
Knowledge of the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the UN system, including the 2030 UN Sustainable Development Agenda.
Knowledge of other United Nations languages (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS / FURTHER DETAILS AND APPLICATIONS: careers.unesco.org