Job from Médecins du Monde
Closing date: 09 Jun 2017
Description of the Organisation:
Doctors of the World / Médecins du Monde (MdM), founded in 1990, is a medical humanitarian non-governmental organization and is a member of Médecins Du Monde International which consists of 15 delegations (Argentina, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Greece, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States of America). MdM is an independent NGO, whose modus operandi is characterized by its swift, small scale and targeted delivery of humanitarian assistance to populations in danger. The guiding principle underlying MdM’s activities is that every human being has a right to humanitarian assistance, irrespective of their gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, ideology or political persuasion. MdM is, therefore, guided by the principles of neutrality and impartiality. Being neutral, however, does not preclude MDM from speaking out about human rights abuses witnessed in the field. Where possible, MdM draws attention to such abuses either by means of silent diplomacy or through the media. The long term goal of MDM is to make healthcare a basic human right.
The organization has been active in Greece for 25 years, developing quality of care, improving access and advocating for the right to health for all people. It also thrives to promote good management of the health facilities it supports. Médecins du Monde – Greece, since the beginning of its operations, has been implementing several projects within Greece and abroad, in order to provide medical as well as other services to marginalized populations that cannot access healthcare services and medical care.
General objective of the position
MdM aims to improve access to health care for vulnerable people. Within this scope, MDM launched the project Free and quality access to health care for migrants in the migratory process in March 2016. The project, financed by the ECHO, conducts medical and psycho-social activities in a number of accommodation facilities for migrant populations in Greece.
Currently, MdM is present in four regions in Greece. Each regional team is headed by a Field Coordinator who are under the supervision of the Operations Manager in Athens that performs a variety of functions and tasks.
The Operation Manager will work in direct collaboration with the Technical Coordinator and interface directly with the General Coordinator (GenCo), as appropriate for programme strategy, operations and implementation. (S)he will have direct access to confidential information, such as the general strategy of MDM ECHO project in Greece, including programming objectives in the field, financial details, and security guidelines. Operation manager ensures the supervision and coordination of effective implementation of MdM activities in the field through the Field Coordinators in order to achieve the expected results within the set time frames and efficient use of avaliable resources.
§ Line manager of: 4 Field Coordinators (Field Co)
§ Reports to: General Coordinator (GenCo)
Specific objectives, responsibilities and tasks
1. Line management
▪ Supervision of 4 Field Coordinators
▪ Promoting individual meetings for performance follow-up
▪ Receives updates and makes recommendations to the GenCo, Technical Coordinators, support coordinators concerning issues, concerns and needs coming from the field.
▪ Facilitate coordination and communication between the Field Coordinators and the Coordination team in Athens
▪ Encouraging and facilitating staff care support for the 4 Field Co
▪ Ensures regular performance appraisals and encourages the personal development plans and the identification of training needs
▪ Support the recruitment process of Field Co if needed
2. Programme strategy and planning
▪ Manages programming aspects of the operations in line with MDM and donors’ standards;
▪ In collaboration with the GenCo and the Technical Coordinators, designs strategies and objectives for improved support to beneficiaries
▪ Organises internal coordination meetings for cross-departmental issues and planning purposes
▪ Drafts detailed implementation plans together with the coordination team
▪ Participates to internal coordination meeting addressing operational highlights
▪ Identifies bottlenecks or problems in the operations, reports them and proposes possible solutions
▪ Participates in the review of annual/quarterly work, strategy, budget plans and contributes to proposal drafting as requested
▪ Participation to the drafting of monthly / quarterly and final reporting
3. Implementation of operations in the field
▪ Supervises the implementation of the operations in the field accordingly to the deployment plans ensuring that the implementation of the field operations is accurate and consistent
▪ Supports Field Coordinators is setting up work-plan and objectives for their teams/bases
▪ Ensures implementation of existing protocols and procedures in the field
▪ Consolidates reports from the Field Coordinators and ensure that regular feedback is provided by the coordination team
▪ In collaboration with the Technical Coordinators, ensures daily monitoring of activities
▪ In coordination with the GenCo and Technical Coordinators, monitors and evaluates operations progress and makes recommendations to be integrated in the work-plan
▪ Monitors context change and report on situation analysis, resources and gap analysis, trends in the situation of the area
▪ Identifies bottlenecks or problems at field level, reports them and proposes possible solutions
▪ Supports the recruitment process of field team members if needed
4. Safety and security in the field
▪ Supervises the implementation of safety and security rules on the field as per HSS guide and related SOP’s
▪ Liaises with other services/actors to ensure MdM team’s presence is complementary with other services, health structures and NGOs in the same area
▪ Attends and follows up the humanitarian coordination meetings and any other meeting as per request of GenCo if needed
▪ In collaboration with the Field Co facilitates media, donors and other visits to the field
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are not exhaustive and can evolve according to the project needs.
· University Degree (Masters or equivalent) in Business Administration, Social Sciences, International Development, or related fields.
· Minimum 5 years of relevant working experience.
· Experience in humanitarian setting (compulsory) and experience within a medical organization is an asset
· Experience in dealing with refugee crisis
· Experience with working in an international and multi-cultural environment
§ Fluency in English and Greek
§ Good computer skills
§ Ability to work in team and in a multicultural environment
§ Ability to respond positively and constructively to a rapid changing operational environment
§ Strong team player, positive, pro-active and problem-solving approach
§ Analytical skills
§ Autonomous, flexible and able to work under pressure
§ Well organized and able to prioritize
§ Able to respect confidentiality
§ Effective oral and written communication skills
How to apply:
Potential candidates are requested to send an updated curriculum vitae and a cover letter, both in English to the following email address: email@example.com until the 9th of June 2017.
Please include the reference: “Operations Manager”.
MDM is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.