Position: Social Worker
Project: MSF Greece Migrants
Location: Athens (mobility according to the medical needs)
Starting Date: Immediately
Duration: 6 months (possible extension)
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centres (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Since March 2016, MSF is running a project in Greece which responds to the needs of refugees, migrants and vulnerable people from the host population in 4 locations in Greece: A Day Care Center and the squats in the City Center of Athens, daily mobile Clinics in the 3 sites of Elliniko Camp and mobile clinics in Thermophiles-Camp.
Carry out all social-related and program related activities, in order to ease the patient’s situation, to maximize his/her adherence to treatment, to facilitate his or her needs towards other actors and to improve his/her psychosocial condition.
- Identify social needs of patients through a social assessment. Respond to the patient’s social needs, according to the scope of the project, by giving direct social support (as transport, food, legal advice,) and/or refer to other social actors, in order to actively contribute to the improvement of their quality of living.
- Contact patients to follow up the evolution of their condition when needed (home visits, defaulter tracing).
- Book appointments to secondary health facilities and other health actors for further medical assessment of the patients, regarding the need identified by the medical departments.
- Follow up the appointments and accompany if needed by patients
- Participate in the creation of any material needed for the activities of social workers. Take care of social services facilities, materials and equipment’s in order to ensure continuity.
- Mapping and regular update of social partners, local authorities, other NGOs, and governmental social services in order to improve social services scope and responsiveness.
- Keep records, statistic and files updated, reporting any social activity, in order to prioritize and develop appropriate programs or projects.
- Participate in meetings with the medical team in order to coordinate our services and activities
- Degree in social work.
- Two years’ minimum in a similar social job; experience with MSF or other NGOs, desirable.
- Knowledge of the Greek Health Care and Referral System
- Knowledge of Greek Law and Regulation regarding Social Activities is an asset.
- Mission language (English) and local language (Greek) essential
- Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy
Please send your CV and a motivation letter in English quoting reference code “Social Worker» in the subject line of the e-mail at:
Closing date: 31/05/2017
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted