JOB from International Federation of Red Cross And Red Crescent Societies
Closing date: 15 Aug 2017
In Sep 2015 IFRC launched the emergency appeal to support Hellenic Red Cross to scale up its emergency response efforts to support migrants entering to Greece. Over the course of 2015 and into early 2016 the migrants were on transient, remaining limited time in Greece before continuing their journey along Balkans route. The situation changed in March 2016 with closure of the borders and EU- Turkey agreement coming to an effect. Following the EU Turkey Statement on 18 March 2016, the average number of daily arrivals has decreased significantly.
As of January 2017, official figures show that more than 33,000 people are still stranded on mainland Greece distributed among sites (formal and informal), official housing schemes and other solutions. Some 15,000 are stranded on the islands, while new arrivals are still registered (with an average of 60 per day) and expected to continue in the future. With the pace of the asylum process going slower than planned, migrants are still in need of basic assistance and service including health services, psychosocial support and hygiene promotion.
Reporting to the Program coordinator, and in close collaboration with Hellenic RC counterparts the Health Coordinator will assist and support to plan, review, implement and coordinate the health, PSS and hygiene promotion & health education components of the emergency response program of the present population movement operation. One of the key tasks of the Health coordinator is to establish and maintain a strong Red Cross internal coordination platform for all health, PSS (WASH) activities implemented by HRC and PNS partners under the Emergency Appeal operation in Greece in close collaboration with HRC coordinators and relevant PNS counterparts. The coordinator is also expected to provide technical guidance and quality assurance of the implemented activities and support harmonizing implemented approaches across.
The health coordinator will collaborate and coordinate closely with relevant Governmental and non- Governmental actors addressing health/PSS issues as well as represent IFRC and the operation in different relevant coordination forums.
In addition to health and PSS technical expertise and familiarity of Red Cross approaches to these areas, the role requires significant experience in movement coordination and working in partnership with national societies, in liaising with different authorities and ministries of health, in addressing the health needs, planning and implementation of proposed health programs, and in performance monitoring, evaluation, and reporting (PMER).
While the position is initially until the end of the year, depending on the context and funding, there is a possibility for extension in 2018.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(Please note that this is Not an exhaustive List. There are other duties and responsibilities not mentioned in this Job Advertisement).
The post holder will be responsible for the following duties:
Coordination and representation
· Establish and maintain a strong coordination platform for all health, PSS, hygiene promotion (WASH) & health education activities implemented by IFRC, HRC and PNS partners
· Represent Health/PSS/WASH sector
· Advocating with the Greek health authorities, including.
· The coordinator will manage the PSS officer, and be the technical line manager for the health operations’ staff.
Strategy and program support
· Coordinate and monitor the implementation (planning, monitoring and evaluation) of the health activities (namely basic healthcare, first aid), PSS activities, and hygiene promotion & health education across Greece. As of August 2017, this includes Nea Kavala, Skaramagas, Ritsona, and urban outreach in Athens.
· Collaborate with and support the national society
· Support the Movement partners in ensuring that health/PSS components of the response are based on frameworks and approaches that are consistent with or have considered national and international standards and guidelines, as well as IFRC policies, guidelines and tools.
· Assist HRC and together with partners, in the achievement of health component outcomes and deliverables following quality standards, in a timely fashion, and within budgets.
· Work with National Societies and Movement partners in periodic monitoring of the situation and its potential evolution, ensuring that health interventions are responsive to current and emerging health needs and threats.
· Promote and assist in the development, implementation and reviews of contingency plans for identified health threats in operational areas, as well as the development of capacities within National Societies for emergency response.
· Monitor the health situation and disease risks or outbreaks in Greece.
· Conduct regular field visits. Monitor, coordinate and implement, in coordination with HRC and MoH, the necessary vaccination campaigns (routine and campaigns).
· Align IFRC and partners’ health approach with Greek health system.
Knowledge and information management
· Support the operation to have effective health information management system (HIMS) for the response.
· Assist National Societies and partners, in the conduct of reviews that enable National Societies and IFRC to measure the impact of its health emergency interventions, as well as inform its future capacity strengthening and programming priorities.
· Ensure that planning and reporting requirements are met in a timely and efficient manner.
· Support in mobilizing resources for the health components of the response. Contribute in identifying and engaging with potential donors, and in preparing project proposals and documents.
· Ensure that IFRC health financial resources, stocks and equipment are managed correctly and efficiently.
Duties Applicable to All Staff
· Actively work towards the achievement of the needed goals of the organization.
· Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross/Red Crescent principles.
· Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
· Essential Master degree in public health or allied health sciences; Degree in medicine, nursing or relevant health sciences.
· Preferred: Certificate or diploma in emergency health or humanitarian assistance.
· 3-5 years of health program management experience
· 3-5 years of field experience with a humanitarian field in health /PSS.
· Proven experience in coordination role (preferable within the RC movement)
· Experience working in emergency health
· Proven project management experience
· Knowledge of the Greek health system
· Experience in communicating, coordination with Greek authorities
· Experience working with migrants and refugees
· 3 to 5 years of experience in PSS. Experience with WASH activities, especially community based ones.
· Experience in integration issues of migrants or refugees
Knowledge and Skills:
· Required: Fluently spoken and written English
· Required: Good Command of the Greek Language
· Required: Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word-processing, email, etc.).
· Highly motivated, self- starter, able to lead processes, coordinate and engage others.
· Team player, self- motivated and proactive on own initiative to set and achieve goals
· Familiarity with current international health standards and guidelines.
· Able to multi-task, work in a changing situation and manage stress.
· Effective project management skills (PMER)
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, coordination and networking skills
· Ability to negotiate and develop work relationships
· Ability to represent IFRC
· Good mentoring and capacity development skills. Demonstrable accountability.
· Able to work well in a multicultural team and in a changing environment.
HOW TO APPLY:
The Position is based in Athens, Greece. The contract is fixed term till December 2017 with possibility of Extension.
Due to the nature of the operations, Applications will be processed as they come and the position maybe filled before the deadline.
Interested candidates should send English CV and Cover letter to the following e-mail address:firstname.lastname@example.org Please mention the Position Title in the subject of the e-mail.
Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted. Please note that this is a National Greek Contract.
All CVs will be treated with strict confidentiality