Position title: Science Teacher (EDU-TEACH-SCI)
ELIX is a Greek Non-Governmental Organisation committed to promote personal development and everyone’s evolution as citizen of the world through active participation in public life. Founded in 1987, ELIX has supported and educated more than 10,000 people to participate in innovative actions in Greece and more than 40 countries around the world. Since November 2016, ELIX has been implementing the project «Quality Play-Based Learning and Non-Formal Education, Enhanced Psychosocial Well-Being and Positive Integration for Refugee Children Aged 3-17 Years in Greece» in 12 different locations. Through this project, more than 2,500 refugee children, and their parents, have gained access to a flexible and reliable framework offering non-formal educational activities, such as courses of Greek, English, Mother Tongue, Mathematics, Civic Education and Life Skills, in order to enhance their potential and learning pathway.
ELIX is looking to hire qualified teachers to deliver non-formal education classes of Science to refugee and migrant children and their parents in ELIX Learning Centers located in camps and urban locations in the Attica Region.
Reports to: Learning Center Officer for organisational issues and Field Education Officer for educational issues
Close coordination with other Teachers as well as a Psychologist and a Social Worker.
Duration: Contract duration will be three to six months, depending on the funding and ELIX organizational needs. The working schedule is on a five day basis, Monday to Friday, full time or part time, either in the morning or in the afternoon.
Key role and responsibilities:
- Planning and preparation of lessons.
- Teaching, according to their educational needs, the students assigned to him/her.
- Providing homework support for the children who attend formal education.
- Coordinating with the Field Education Officer for implementing daily education activities relevant to the age and level of students and according to the curriculum provided by the Education Coordinator.
- Identification and adaptation of relevant teaching and learning materials for the provision of non-formal education.
- Basic learner assessment.
-Overall provision of non-formal education
- Supporting the enrolment of school-going age children residing in camps and urban locations.
- Recording attendance of children on a daily basis.
- Supporting the behaviour and organisation of children inside and outside the classroom (when not teaching).
- Advising and co-operating with the Education Officer, Learning Center Officer and other teachers on the preparation and development of a comprehensive timetable of regular classes in order to deliver non-formal education to a large range of refugee and migrant children.
- Supporting the teaching team to cover lesson gaps.
- Promoting the general progress and wellbeing of individual students and of any class or group of students assigned to her/him.
- Keeping records and making reports on the educational needs of children.
- Making referrals of vulnerable children to the ELIX Case Management team.
- Ensuring an approach to the provision of both recreational activities/psychosocial support and learning to children, thus maximizing access to both.
- With the support of the Education Officer, communicating and consulting with parents and the community, in order to promote the education services available, and identify and address any barriers to children accessing education.
- Participating in compulsory training and capacity development opportunities provided by the Education Team on a regular basis.
- Participating in administrative and organizational tasks related to the duties as described above, including data collection and entry, as well as the allocation of equipment and materials.
- Preparing and maintaining a conducive learning environment.
Qualifications and experience
- University Degree in Science (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Information Technology, Biology, Geology).
- A minimum of three years professional experience as a qualified teacher.
- Permission to teach in Greece with a recognised qualification.
- Demonstrated commitment to improving the lives of children in the school and community.
- Experience teaching children for whom Greek is a second language.
- Experience teaching refugee or migrant children, or other minority groups.
- Proven technical knowledge and skills in the field of teaching, including classroom management, positive discipline, active learning and inclusive education.
- Experience engaging with parents and communities in order to improve attendance, and to address students’ needs.
- Experience adapting teaching and learning material to the needs of students, particularly children with limited language or literacy.
- The ability to engage children of different ages and abilities with innovative activities and teaching methods.
- Knowledge of the national Greek educational system.
- Strong understanding of the current context for refugees and migrants in Greece.
- Strong organizational skills, with experience of administration.
- Hold a clean driving license and are able to travel independently.
- Strong verbal and written English skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of ELIX. In particular, a good understanding of the ELIX mandate and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Experience delivering classes in non-traditional contexts, outside of the formal school system.
- Experience working in an emergency/humanitarian context.
- Specialisation in Education through Art or similar.
Competencies for this role:
Behaviors (Values in practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ELIX values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for ELIX, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Thrives in a hectic and challenging work environment and is able to cope with the hardship of a humanitarian emergency setting.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters.
- Values diversity and sees it as a source of competitive strength.
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Then apply for this position by filling in the form –>HERE
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
Interested candidates should submit the aforementioned documents to ELIX, firstname.lastname@example.org . The vacancy notice code EDU-TEACH-SCI and the applicant’s full name must be quoted in the email subject line.
Disclaimer Clause: The above job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the relevant positions.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close on 20th October 2017