The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has recently established a presence in Greece where aims at delivering immediate assistance and protection-guided emergency response to refugees and migrants based on international humanitarian standards and in line with the Greek government strategy.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos Island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under supervision of the Protection Team Leader/Manager and in close coordination with other DRC field units, the Legal Aid Officer will support the implementation of all Protection objectives under DRC projects in the emergency reception sites.
Furthermore, the Legal Aid Officer will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s Protection activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Work in close cooperation with our legal aid partners and thereby continuously monitor and document the needs of the persons of concern
- Identify cases in need of legal aid to be referred
- Collaborate with legal aid partners to provide individual counselling and information about international protection, including access to asylum, and asylum and immigration procedures
- Monitor and analyse the legal procedures followed by the implementation of law 4357/2016 within Lesvos for management, programme and advocacy purposes
- Provide legal aid statistics
- Document case studies, best practices and lessons learned from each of the activities implemented
- Represent DRC in Protection meetings as required
- Provide translation/interpretation as necessary
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Protection Team Leader, relevant to the achievement of Protection objectives
- Law degree and relevant experience with refugee/migration law and humanitarian law
- Excellent verbal and written English and Greek skills
- Working knowledge of Arabic or Farsi is an added advantage
- At least three years working experience in a related field; previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Strong computer skills
- High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Mytilene (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
How to apply:
Interested? Then apply for this position on line:
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages).
Both must be in English.
Applications close on 5th of November 2017.
Please note that applications will be screened on rolling bases and interviews will be conducted accordingly.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.