Closing date: 23 Nov 2017
OXFAM PURPOSE: Oxfam is a leading, global humanitarian organization that works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 20 organizations networked together in 94 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together with communities to support them to have a say in decisions that affect them.
Oxfam in Greece is the Greek registered branch of the Dutch affiliate Oxfam Novib and is looking for
Advocacy Officer in Lesvos
JOB PURPOSE: The successful candidate will support advocacy that has local, national, and European dimensions. This will include working with the Senior Advocacy and Policy Officer to deliver against the Oxfam in Greece Advocacy Strategy and Oxfam European Migration Campaign, liaising with other stakeholders operating on Lesvos, working closely with the protection program staff to deliver advocacy activities that improve protection for refugees and migrants, helping to collect information and content that enable program evidence-based advocacy, tracking and reporting on policy and practice developments, working with media and communications staff to increase visibility around certain key issues of concern, contributing to the development of advocacy materials including blogs, photo essays, reports, letters and statements, and contributing to NGO coalition advocacy efforts.
Greece Level Advocacy
· Contribute to the operationalization of the Oxfam in Greece advocacy strategy;
· Consult and coordinate with Oxfam’s protection program staff in Lesvos, legal partners, and key stakeholders (Greek authorities, the UN, and National and International Non-Government Organizations) to keep the Oxfam in Greece advocacy strategy up to date and help plan and implement advocacy activities;
· Support the Senior Advocacy and Policy Officer in ensuring that the gender perspective is applied across in the planning and implementation of campaign and advocacy work
· Help develop and manage strong working relationships with a diverse range of advocacy allies and stakeholders;
· Participate in advocacy and other relevant coordination mechanisms and working groups in Lesvos (and Athens where possible), share meeting minutes, and report out on the issues discussed and outcomes agreed to;
Contributing to the European Migration Campaign
· Support the Senior Advocacy and Policy Officer to ensure that Greece level advocacy initiatives fit into broader European Migration Campaign objectives;
· Contribute to situation reports that are shared internally within the Oxfam European Migration Campaign to ensure that Oxfam Affiliates across Europe are updated on the context and advocacy in Greece;
· Contribute to the ongoing Oxfam narrative around migration issues by writing blogs and other short thought pieces for Oxfam websites that reflect the Oxfam program and advocacy intervention in Greece and the experience of refugees and migrants;
· Provide logistic and administrative support for advocacy actions;
Information Gathering, Analysis and Reporting
· Work with the protection staff to regularly gather information from established community based structures taking into account Oxfam principles on responsible data management;
· Coordinate with protection staff to contribute to gathering, analyzing, and reporting on protection and advocacy issues and keep up-to-date with the changing protection environment for women, girls, boys, and men;
· Contribute to the development of assessments that enable the collection of information and data necessary for advocacy and support, as necessary, as an enumerator;
· Contribute to internal and external reporting (Situation Reports and policy/advocacy updates);
· Contribute analysis and data for development of new funding proposals;
Support to Community Based Protection Activities
· Support the Senior Advocacy and Policy Officer to work with the Oxfam trained women’s committees and/or focal points to identify and implement an advocacy action plan (as part of a protection action plan);
· Work with protection staff to identify platforms whereby refugees and migrants may be directly engaged in discussions on issues that affect them
· Regularly feedback to focal points/women’s committees on the advocacy Oxfam is engaged in and request feedback on its focus and direction to ensure that their input is at the core of advocacy initiatives;
· Support trainings and workshops as part of the community based protection program.
Other Activities as Required
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
· A minimum of 3 years of professional experience involving advocacy, policy or campaigning work;
· Ability to communicate complex issues in a clear manner;
· Sound experience of networking, liaising, and cooperating with other stakeholders;
· Strong writing and reporting skills;
· Ability to manage complex workloads and deliver outputs to agreed deadlines;
· Good understanding of and proven commitment to gender and diversity issues;
· Organizational skills, including an ability to work independently and take initiative but also work cooperatively and constructively as part of a team;
· Strong computer skills (MS Word and Excel);
· Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
· Fluency in written and spoken Greek and English;
· A Degree in International Affairs, Political Science, Journalism, or related field which includes the study of international humanitarian issues, or a background in law, especially asylum law;
· Experience working overseas and in humanitarian or development contexts;
· Ability to communicate comfortably in Arabic, Dari or Farsi;
· Research skills to track and stay up-to-date on legislative developments and for gathering evidence including through Focus Group Discussions;
· Experience working with refugee and migrant communities or others in emergency situations;
Type: National Contract
Duration: until December 2018
Reporting Line: Senior Advocacy and Policy Officer
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested in this job opportunity, please sent your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position title until November 23rd, 2017.
Please note that this position is a national-staff position and only open to EU citizens or candidates with a Greek residency and work permit.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and the successful candidates will be expected to start as soon as possible.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.