Project: Lesbos Emergency
Duration: 3 months
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical and humanitarian action-driven organization that offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. The MSF movement is built around 5 operational centers (OC) supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide. The MSF-Mission in Greece provides humanitarian and medical assistance to the refugee and migrants populations fleeing conflict in their home countries and following a migration route via Greece and the Balkans towards Northern Europe.
Perform interpretation from English/Greek to the beneficiary’s language or vice versa, in order to ensure simultaneous, accurate, friendly, respectful, objective and fluent communication between MSF staff and target population.
- Assures the interpretation between the MSF staff and the beneficiary in his/her mother tongue during medical and nursing activities in MSF clinics, camps or other.
- Ensures that the translation is adequate, neutral, accurate and understandable to all involved parties.
- Accompanies beneficiaries to health and social care facilities as needed to facilitate interpretation and service provision.
- Supports MSF staff in understanding specific aspects of the cultural background of the beneficiaries with whom they have cultural affiliations through formal presentations and informal discussions with the aim to improve the provision of MSF services.
- Ensures that all patients attending MSF activities are well informed about services provided.
- Identifies patients who need medical or mental health assistance and refer them appropriately.
- Fluency in Arabic is mandatory.
- Fluency in English or Greek is mandatory.
- Knowledge of French is a strong plus.
- Essential secondary education, paramedical background is desirable.
- Previous working experience required. Previous experience as cultural mediator or translator in a NGO is a strong plus.
- Full time position.
- Annual gross salary: According to MSF Salary Policy.
- Private insurance.
Please follow the link below in order to submit your application: https://msfocs.workable.com/jobs/508804
Closing date: 30.03.2018
All applications will be treated in strictest confidentiality
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted