Closing date: 31 May 2018
HIAS seeks a Greek lawyer to support its mission to provide legal support to refugees and other forced migrants in Greece. Selected lawyer will hold the position to the end of 2018, with the possibility of extension up to a year. The lawyer provides aid to refugees and other forced migrants through the provision of individual asylum counseling and casework, individual representation before the Greek authorities and courts, group asylum information presentations, assistance with family reunification, and other protection-related advocacy.
The deadline to apply for this role will be May 31st, 2018.
- Represents clients by attending registration, admissibility, family reunification and asylum interviews.
- Drafts and submits asylum and family reunification case submissions and other case materials.
- Represents clients before civil and criminal court proceedings.
- Compiles biographical data, persecution stories, and evidence to produce comprehensive asylum case submissions.
- Conducts interviews with individual refugees and families.
- Communicates with the authorities on a regular basis regarding updates on cases and changes in procedures.
- Advocates for client access to asylum procedures and process.
- Provides legal information and counseling (group and/or through individual sessions) to refugees and migrants on asylum, family reunification procedures, and proceedings before civil and criminal courts.
- Attends meetings and builds relations with legal and other partners.
- Refers refugees and forced migrants to assistance from partners as needed.
- Mentors and assists volunteer attorneys from around the world.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Law degree and registration with a Greek bar association.
- Minimum two years relevant work experience.
- Excellent oral and written English skills; excellent drafting, analytical and communication skills.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. international law, human rights, refugee law, international relations, political science) preferred.
- Experience in representing asylum seekers and refugees before civil and criminal judicial proceedings
- Knowledge of international refugee law, human rights law and application preferred.
- Knowledge of country conditions in Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq and other refugee producing countries preferred.
- Experience with asylum or refugee status determination procedures and emergency response preferred.
- Ability to flexibly adapt to a changing legal, emergency-response environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working in 14 countries across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND COMPLIES WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL EMPLOYMENT LAWS.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to the website, http://www.hias.org/career-and-internship-opportunities