Call for CVs GR 18/26 Psychosocial Workers
Position Title : Psychosocial Workers
Duty Station : Various Locations across Greece
Classification : Ungraded position, attractive remuneration package
Type of Appointment : Special short-term contract with possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Greece, IOM is focusing on responding to the Mediterranean migrant’s crisis, in support of the Greek Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved. IOM currently implements interventions within the areas of emergency, preparedness and response, disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, healthcare and psychosocial assistance, assisted voluntary return of migrants, migration and development, resettlement and repatriation, family reunification, counter human trafficking, assistance to vulnerable migrants.
In the framework of the emergency situation regarding the migrants, asylum seekers and refugees across Greece, IOM Athens is establishing a pool of candidates interested to join the organisation.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, the successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
• Assess potential protective and risk factors of individuals and families facing difficulties in the camp (personal resilience, shared belief systems, social support networks, etc);
• Development of a rapid needs assessment of the psychosocial needs of children, youth and their families;
• Counseling the migrants and refugees who have been affected psycho-socially;
• Accompany the families during this transition period, monitor needs and feelings and their own difficulties;
• Conduct field observations on the migrants and refugees’ population from the camp and provide the results to the
• Prepare weekly reports and data and submit to relevant IOM teams;
• Coordinate with the appropriate IOM Teams to ensure that migrants and refugees’ basic needs are met;
• Identify and support migrants vulnerable to becoming victims of human trafficking and smuggling and refer them into the national protection network;
• Undertake other duties as assigned.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in Psychology, Sociology or Social Work preferably a bachelor degree or higher grade from an accredited institution with at least 3 years’ experience in the field; Membership from the Greek Psychological Association or the Greek Association of Social Workers would be an advantage.
• Good level of computer literacy;
• Previous experience in working with migrants and refugees is an advantage;
• Experience in an international setting.
• Excellent knowledge of Greek and/or English.
• Accountability – accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Client Orientation – identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Continuous Learning – demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
• Creativity and Initiative – proactively develops new ways to solve problems
• Leadership and Negotiation – convinces others to share resources
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Performance management – provide constructive feedback to colleagues
• Planning and Organizing – sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others.
• Professionalism – Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to the relevant cultural contexts
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
• Technological Awareness – proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
• Effectively applies knowledge of social, cultural and health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level;
• Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work.
1. The position is subject to funding confirmation.
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and Cover Letter) in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org email
address, quoting the vacancy notice number CFCV GR 18/26, referring to this advertisement.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.