Call for CVs GR 18/24 Social Workers
Position Title : Social Workers
Duty Station : Various locations across Greece
Classification : Ungraded position, attractive remuneration package
Type of Appointment : Special short-term contract with possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social and economic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Greece, IOM is focusing on responding to the Mediterranean migrant’s crisis, in support of the Greek Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved. IOM currently implements interventions within the areas of emergency, preparedness and response, disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, healthcare and psychosocial assistance, assisted voluntary return of migrants, migration and development, resettlement and repatriation, family reunification, counter human trafficking, assistance to vulnerable migrants.
In the framework of the emergency situation regarding the migrants, asylum seekers and refugees across Greece, IOM Athens is establishing a pool of candidates interested to join the organisation.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
• In coordination with the psychosocial worker, identifies and prioritizes vulnerable cases among refugees, asylum seekers and migrants, including potential victims of trafficking, cases of SGBV, unaccompanied and separated minors, unaccompanied elderly, pregnant women, people with severe mental and physical disabilities, etc.
• Map existing provisions in both the national system and the humanitarian system that are available and accessible to the residents of the sites.
• Assist the migrants and refugees with all the necessary information in order to access relevant specialized care and/or administrative services. Prepare documentation, leaflets and outreach messaging in collaboration with cultural mediators.
• Coordinate with relevant authorities and civil society organizations and refer cases for further support.
• Follow up in a case-management fashion, on the referral of the identified individuals.
• Provide ongoing counselling to the concerned individuals and their families.
• In collaboration with the psychosocial workers activate existing community support systems for supporting the case.
• Ensure the provision of care to all refugees and migrants in line with IOM standards.
• Ensure the confidentiality of personal information of the migrants and refugees.
• Prepare case reports and recommendations and submit to relevant IOM teams.
• Coordinate with the appropriate IOM Teams.
• Undertake other duties as assigned.
• Undertake duty travels as requested.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in Social Work preferably a bachelor degree or higher level from an accredited institution
• At least 2 years’ experience in social work;
• Membership of the Association of Greek Social Workers would be an advantage;
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills, personal commitment, efficiency and flexibility;
• Ability to work with minimal supervision;
• Good level of computer literacy;
• Ability to work under difficult conditions.
Fluency in English and Greek is required.
• Accountability – accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Client Orientation – identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Continuous Learning – demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills
• Creativity and Initiative – proactively develops new ways to solve problems
• Leadership and Negotiation – provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Planning and Organizing – sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others.
• Professionalism – Works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to the relevant cultural contexts
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts
• Technological Awareness – proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
• Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
• Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
• Previous experience and/or knowledge on human trafficking and smuggling and child protection is an advantage
• Previous working experience with children is an advantage
• Background working with refugees or migrants will be a distinct advantage
1. The position is subject to funding confirmation.
2. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications (CV and Cover Letter) in English, to firstname.lastname@example.org email address, quoting the vacancy notice number CFCV GR 18/24, referring to this advertisement. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.