JOB from Danish Refugee Council
Closing date: 16 Oct 2018
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the overall supervision and management of the Urban Team Leader, the administrative assistant will facilitate the day-to-day running of DRC spaces in Dimotiki Agora Kypselis.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
Administration & Management
- Keep track of supplies and stationary and initiate procurement of the above in a timely manner.
- Make sure purchase of material is made on a timely manner and proceed directly with such purchase, if requested
- Is the link between CO administration/logistic/supply office and Urban Project and when necessary transfers items from the central office to Athens Urban Project
- Is the responsible person to close the office and assure that everything is locked and all staff has left.
- Is the focal point for the maintenance of the working space and the coordination of cleaning services
- Facilitates resources management, administration procedures and documentation.
- Provides support to the day-to day operations of Athens Urban Centre and handles of day-to-day problems
- Support the design and implementation of Urban Project activities
- Support meeting, events and workshop arrangements including contracting of external venues, when necessary
- Facilitates the flow of people to the different services and provides crowd control when necessary
- Provides basic information and orientation to PoC
- Other tasks as assigned by the Urban Team Leader
- Excellent command of written and spoken Greek. Good level of English. Knowledge of PoC languages such as French, Farsi, Arabic, Kurmanji, Sorani will be highly appreciated
- General administrative skills are needed, including competence with Microsoft Word, basic Excel
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Ability to work with vulnerable individuals, from children to elderly
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the DRC values and ethical standards
- Strong problem solving skills
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
This position refers to a part time contract.
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Attika (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 16th of October 2018.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.