JOB from HIAS
Closing date: 31 Jan 2019
HIAS seeks an Advocacy and Communications Officer to support the formulation and implementation of the communications and advocacy strategies in HIAS’ Greece. S/he plays a key role in in the communications and advocacy projects that raises HIAS’ public profile, visibility and innovation in the refugee rights and protection field.
- Develops and implements a media relations strategy, traditional and digital, which promotes HIAS’ Greece’s programs and HIAS’ organizational strategy.
- Conducts research, analysis, and writes about refugee and asylum policy and programs; creates and maintains advocacy contact and target lists of local officials, NGO staff, and others; fosters relationships with other advocacy partners.
- Directs HIAS Greece’s social media strategy and oversee its digital presence and growth; writes, edits and maintains editorial marketing content related to HIAS News, achievements, field work and special events.
- Updates and leads HIAS Greece’s Legal Advocacy Strategy for refugee protection, in consultation with relevant staff and membership structures.
- Cultivates relationships with other NGOs/INGOs as well as relevant government and UN officials.
- Drafts materials advancing HIAS Greece’s advocacy agenda including letters, briefings, blogs, op-eds, action alerts, presentations, reports and other materials; drafts and edits materials for us by other departments in connection with priorities.
- Prepares regular updates about HIAS’ Advocacy work for both internal and external audiences.
- Manages communication projects to support HIAS’ advocacy campaigns.
- Represents HIAS Greece in partnership meetings, as needed; promotes HIAS brand internally and externally.
- Participates in the ongoing development of HIAS’ communications and advocacy strategies.
- Works with internal resources and outside vendors to develop promotional materials such as advertising, graphics, brochures and posters.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Law degree or Undergraduate degree in Social Sciences, Political Science, Communications, Journalism or equivalent.
- Current residency in Greece/ and or work authorization for Greece required.
- Fluency in English and Greek (oral and written).
- At least 3-5 years of experience in advocacy and or communications in humanitarian based organization; expertise in refugee protection issues in Greece.
- Excellent writing, copy-editing, communications skills; experience creating blog content and email communications, experience managing social media.
- Familiarity with principals of communication and knowledge management for development and policy advocacy.
- Excellent event planning, coordination and management skills; familiarity with the standards of writing and copy editing.
- Excellent multitasking, time management and problem solving skills; must be able to work autonomously and in a team setting.
- Ability to travel throughout Greece, and internationally, as needed.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to the website, http://www.hias.org/career-and-internship-opportunities