SolidarityNow is a non-governmental organization that was established in 2013 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable and marginalized groups, indiscriminately. Our vision is to improve people’s lives and to empower them to create a just and inclusive society. SN’s actions fall under three main strategic priorities: a) Protection and Social Inclusion; b) Catalysing Livelihoods Opportunities; and c) Strengthening the independence of civil society and defending open society values.
SN has supported 300,000 people to date and our current activities include the provision of accommodation to asylum seekers (having housed almost 7,000 people to date), the facilitation of access to education and employment opportunities and the provision of protection services (legal assistance, psychosocial support) to vulnerable groups both in sites and through Solidarity Centres in in the urban areas of Athens and Thessaloniki.
Position: Head of Research, Advocacy and Policy
Location: Athens (Nationwide and International Travel applies)
Starting Date: ASAP
Status: Full Time
- Reports to the General Manager
- Directly supervises 3 persons
Advocacy plays a key role in achieving SN’s goals. The objective of the position is to provide leadership and strategic thinking to strengthen the organisation’s policy and advocacy impact on issues related to social inclusion of vulnerable persons such as migrants, asylum seekers and refugees, Roma; those affected by the financial crisis including the unemployed and single parent families; and those affected by the lack of accessible, specialised or adapted services like the elderly, people with mental illness, disability.
The Head, in close coordination with the programmes department, will determine the organisational advocacy priorities, develop and implement social policy proposals and advocacy strategies to strengthen National and European policies on issues related to:
– access to public services (housing, health care, education, asylum)
– equality (social, racial, gender)
– access to labour market
– access to justice and human rights
This includes developing and implementing strategies to advance SN’s advocacy priorities in collaboration with Governmental and non-Governmental actors and influence public opinion. To ensure our advocacy has the greatest impact, the post-holder will draw evidence directly from SN beneficiaries, explore strategic synergies between SN programmes and seek the creation of strategic alliances with civil society partners to improve people’s lives.
- Develop and implement the advocacy strategy according to the objectives and priorities of the organisation; draw concrete plans of action
- Monitor the planned activities (in close collaboration with projects and/or partners where appropriate) and report on their progress regularly
- Supervise and guide the SN Research, Advocacy and Policy team
- Oversee the preparation of written material for internal and external use (briefings, letters, position papers)
- Ensure proper flow of information upstream and downstream, through active participation in internal meetings
- Undertake stakeholders’ analysis seeking to provide a better understanding of national and international dynamics to inform the advocacy strategy
- Develop and maintain relationships with state authorities, UN agencies, National and European Networks, NGOs, think tanks, academic institutions and other stakeholders to promote SN’s priorities and nurture strategic alliances
- Close collaboration with the Communications department for the dissemination of advocacy related activities
- Perform targeted research and provide data analysis concerning the national or regional context to support projects and inform programmatic orientations
- Advise and participate in the strategic discussion around SN’s programmatic choices from a critical reflection stance
- Collaborate with the Programmes Director and the Project Managers to support the development, review and maintenance of coherent operational data-collection system
- Ensure a solid base for any advocacy objective by means of using data-based evidence from all available sources, primarily SN’s programs
- Translate policy recommendations in concrete realistic steps for governmental and non-governmental actors to advance policy change
- Train and support the program teams in data collection and collection of testimonies according to SN’s ethical bylaws
- Lead discussions, trainings, briefings, about SN’s vision, values and advocacy at HQ and project level to raise awareness within SN personnel
Required qualifications and skills
University Degree Master’s equivalent in political or social sciences, international development, law or other relevant field of studies
(6) years of experience with the sectors of development / humanitarian service provision in an NGO or International Organisation
(3) years of experience specifically focused on advancing a policy agenda related to issues of public policy, social inclusion, migrant integration
(2) years’ experience in project and people’s management
Established networks with groups that promote social inclusion and migrant integration. Experience in designing and implementing policy and legislative strategies to influence policy change
Knowledge of the functioning of Greek and European Institutions
Strong skills in writing and internal and external communication
Cross cultural awareness and flexibility
Well-organised and efficient
Good interpersonal & communications skills
Fluent in Greek and English
Ability to work under pressure and multitask
PhD with a focus on Social Policy or a related theme
Knowledge of other European languages, especially French
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and motivation letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning in the subject line of the email subject “SN Advocacy Head”.
SN is an equal opportunity employer. Persons with disabilities and from vulnerable and disadvantaged groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date: 22nd November 2018
Only short-listed candidates will receive a written reply.