Finance Officer, Greece
HIAS seeks a Finance Officer to assist with overseeing the day-to-day effective and efficient management of financial and administration activities and operations of the HIAS Greece office. S/he assists with the maintenance and high standards of accounting records, internal controls in accordance with International Accounting Standards, administration standards, Greece laws and regulations, and executes established financial and administration policies and procedures. The Finance Officer assists with all accounting functions, including general ledger, accounts payable/receivable, purchasing, payroll, bank reconciliations, audit, insurance, local tax reporting, and fixed assets at the Country level. S/he assists with accurate and timely preparation of internal financial reports and submission for external reporting. This role reports to the Greece Country Director and has a dotted line reporting relationship into the HQ controller. S/he additionally works closely with the HQ Finance and Grants Compliance team.
- Assists with maintaining all financial transactional activity, including; accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll and ensures that all financial transactions and journal entries are recorded accurately in accordance with organization policies, GAAP and governmental regulations.
- Reviews key monthly account analyses; bank reconciliations, G/L to subsidiary ledger reconciliation.
- Ensures maximization of accounting software.
- Assists with monthly closes are completed on a regular and timely basis.
- Helps with the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and reports.
- Ensures timely and accurate monthly close of General Ledger.
- Assists with the cash flow forecast and forward monthly cash request to HQ on a timely basis.
- Assists in financially reporting for donors, and ensures they are submitted to HQ in a timely manner.
- Monitors country and field office cash flow to ensure there is adequate cash to fund operations.
- Trains employees on timesheet processes and procedures.
- Ensures timesheets are completed in timely submission with adequate approval, accuracy, in alignment with funding and filings.
Qualification and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, finance or accounting.
- A minimum of one to three (1-3) years’ experience in relevant field; knowledge of Greece laws and regulations.
- Oral and written fluency in both written and spoken English and Greek is required; strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a citizen of Greece.
- Excellent computer skills in all Microsoft office suite products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.); highly organized and detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving abilities; capability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to work in a team and independently, take initiative, prioritize competing tasks and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to travel throughout Greece as required; ability to travel internally on behalf of HIAS, as required.