Here is the gender aspect of the candidates for the 21 seats for Greece at the European Parliament in the framework of the European Elections, which will take place on the 26th of May, 2019.
According to the Decision 65/2019 by the Supreme Civil and Criminal Court of Greece (Areios Pagos: http://www.areiospagos.gr/ ), forty (40) political parties and coalitions of parties are entitled to participate at the European Elections.
The candidates are 1.195 in total. The male candidates are 685 (57.3%) and the female candidates are 510 (42.7%).
Furthermore, it is noted that
– in 17 parties the percentage of female candidates is 40%
– in 13 parties the percentage of female candidates is 41%-45%
– in 6 parties the percentage of female candidates is 46%-49%
– in 2 parties the percentage of female candidates is 50%
– in 2 parties the percentage of female candidates is above 50%.
It is also underlined that the Greek legislation imposes the system of gender quota for the candidates at all electoral procedures (national, regional, municipal and European elections); the minimum percentage has been set to 40%. In the European Elections in May 2014 the percentage was 30%.
Last but not least, on Sunday 26-5-2019 the first round of the Greek regional and municipal elections will also take place and the second round will take place on Sunday 2-6-2019.