Mosaik Support Center for Refugees and Locals was founded in June 2016 to provide a space of warmth, safety and community for the most vulnerable populations on Lesvos. Built on principles of solidarity, integration and empowerment, Mosaik joins refugees and locals in a common struggle against policies of exclusion and attrition at the EU border and offers them a sustainable structure to support their resolve to live with dignity. Bringing together over 300 students aged 4 to 89, from 20 countries, Mosaik offers language courses in English and Greek, computer literacy classes, legal support for asylum applicants, vocational training in arts and crafts, upcycling workshops, music and dance classes and cultural events supported by artists, activists and organizations from across the world.
Mosaik is looking to employ a full-time advocacy and communications manager to help secure funds to cover the project’s operational expenses.
- Networking with stakeholders and actors on the island / in Greece and across the EU
– Builds a network of advocacy contacts on the island with other organisations and build up a network of solidarity actors on other islands and on the Greek mainland
– Attends coordination and education meetings to represent Mosaik
– Holds bilateral meetings with agencies, INGOs and governmental actors
– Initiates and/or participates in community-based advocacy
– Organizes refugee community based exchange with community leaders
- Development and implementation of an advocacy strategy
– Sets up objectives for an advocacy strategy pertaining to education, integration, legal issues, borders, safe passage, criminalization etc.
– Implements the strategy (short-term and long-term goals) in collaboration with other stakeholders.
- Communications and dialogue
– Communicates with researchers, responds to inquiries and requests for interview.
– Builds a list of press contacts in the national and international media; communicates relevant pitches.
– Fosters and maintains a dialogue with academics working in the field
– Attends conferences (local, national and international) to raise awareness regarding the situation and policy changes on the islands
- Working in close relationship with PR manager
– Supports the PR person in creating political content for Media
– Updates the PR person about the situation, changes, developments etc.
– Supports the PR person with Media inquiries.
- Collecting relevant information and writing reports
– Collects relevant information from external sources and media
– Gives general updates to the team and to partners.
– Writes reports on relevant topics.
- Internal communications
– Attends weekly coordination meetings; reports to the coordination team and the Advisory Board.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience and Skills
- Strong knowledge of migration in Europe (history, politics, social and more)
- Strong knowledge of politics in Greece and Europe
- Strong communication skills (debating, lobbying) and strong writing skills
- Strong team playing skills required
- Greek and English mandatory, additional languages preferable
- Ability to travel
- Needs to be based on Lesvos
How to Apply
Please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Eligible applicants will receive an invitation to interview with us in August 2019.