Fenix – Humanitarian Legal Aid is a US non profit organization and Greek MKO, federally registered with Greece’s Ministry of Migration and Asylum and is seeking a Greek licensed attorney to join our team in Lesvos.
Our team of international and Greek lawyers, protection officers, legal assistants and translators provides legal aid and protection services to refugees and asylum seekers in Lesvos, with the support of over 50 volunteers working remotely on translation, research, communication and fundraising.
We are looking for an independent, adaptable and responsible individual who is willing to work in a very demanding and dynamic work environment. Our clients need great advocates who demonstrate compassion, patience, hard work and empathy in extremely trying circumstances. The successful candidate must be an excellent communicator, a cooperative, respectful team player, and have the ability to multitask and prioritize in a constantly shifting context.
● Provide legal representation before the Greek Asylum Service, European Asylum Support Office, Appeals Committee and Administrative and Judicial Courts.
● Support Fenix international lawyers and protection officers through regular engagement with legal advice and case assistance.
● Participate in Working Groups, Inter-Agency meetings, and support efforts of local advocacy and information-sharing with actors through meetings and referrals.
● Stay up to date on rapidly changing asylum laws and policies.
● Maintain records in compliance with reporting requirements of any and all grants or agreements
● Perform other related duties as required.
● Lawyer with a license to practice in Greece
● Oral and written English fluency
● A minimum of 1-3 years of experience working with immigration and refugee law
● Strong case management, legal research, and legal writing skills.
● Excellent interpersonal skills, including communication skills and a proactive positive attitude
● Ability to work with clients of a range of backgrounds, with sensitivity to culture, trauma history, age and other vulnerabilities
● Ability to work both independently and in a group setting, and meet deadlines in a fast paced dynamic environment.
● Passion for human rights and social justice
● 6 months full time position based in Mytilene, Lesvos.
● Competitive salary commensurate to studies and experience
● Start date: as soon as possible!
Please send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Greek Attorney”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis