CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Position Title: Protection Assistant
Duty Station: Athens, Greece
Type of Appointment: Special Short-Term Ungraded Contract
Closing Date: 28 January 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in thefieldof migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society. As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to: assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management; advance understanding of migration issues; encourage social andeconomic development through migration, and; uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
In Greece, IOM is focusing on responding to the Mediterranean migrant’s crisis, in support of the Greek Government and in cooperation with all other agencies involved. IOM currently implements interventions within the areas of emergency, preparedness and response, disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, healthcare and psychosocial assistance, assisted voluntary return of migrants, migration and development, resettlement andrepatriation, family reunification, counter human trafficking, assistance to vulnerable migrants.
IOM is supporting the National authorities in the management of all long-term accommodation sites in mainland Greece and aims at ensuring dignified and harmonized reception standards for applicants of international protection. IOM is implementing activities (Site Management Support, Protection and Non-Formal Education) in partnership with a large array of Implementing Partners.
Under the overall supervision of the National Protection Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the Protection Area Coordinator, the successful candidate will be assigned the following:
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Communicate with field protection staffandgiveconstructive feedback as well as guidelines for protection case management.
2. Ensure regular and timely field reporting; provide feedback totheProtection Area Coordinator about the situation of protection related activities and services in the open accommodation centres.
3. Assist with day to day activities of field protection staff; advise field protection staff on case management and handling of protection activities.
4. Ensure mainstreaming of protection activities, exchange of good practices and valid information dissemination across all field staff and coordinators.
5. Support in administrative tasks and collect documentation for administrative expenses and logistics.
6. Understand and report to line manager specific protection needs of migrants, asylum seekers and refugees residing in open accommodation centres.
7. Demonstrate problem solving attitude in sit backs and operation constraints.
8. Conduct regular on-site monitoring visits and attends protection field meetings.
9. Propose and produce standard operating procedure tools such as guidance notes and procedures to field staff.
10. Perform other related duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• High school degree/ certificate with minimum four years of work experience; or
• University degree in Humanities, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with minimum two years of work experience.
• Master’s degree in above fields is an advantage.
Experience and Skills
• Minimum two years of related work experience in a humanitarian setting;
• Experience coordinating protection activities and a good understanding of protection SOPs preferred;
• Experience in liaising with governmental anddiplomatic authorities and stakeholders, working in international organizations, non-government or government institutions / organization;
• Demonstrated ability to draft and prepare clear and concise formal correspondence and project reports;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills in a multi-cultural setting;
• Strong organizational, facilitation, communication, writing and presentations skills;
• Proficient in a Microsoft Office environment and office software packages. Knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web -based management systems;
• Strong work ethics and commitment to humanitarian principles.
Fluency in English and Greek is required.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies –behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Appointment will be subject to the provision of requirements relevant to the position including academic degree(s), professional licenses, criminal record certificate and declaration of relatives in the Organization.
This post is subject to local recruitment. Only those holding a valid residence and work permit for Greece will be eligible for consideration.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application including a cover letter, CV anda completed Personal History Form in English by email to: GRHRAPPLY@iom.int , specifying the vacancy reference number GRCFA21-012 and full name in the subject line.
Due to the volume of applications received, IOM Greece Human Resources will not be able torespond to all inquiries about the application status and will only contact shortlisted candidates.
From 15 January 2021 to 28 January 2021