|Position Title||Finance Assistant|
|Area of Operation||Greece|
|Type of Contract (Expat/National/Trainee)||National|
|Salary & Benefits||I|
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, non-governmental and non-denominational relief organization.
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the management of Area Manager and technical supervision of Finance/Admin Officer and Finance Manager provide financial support to DRC Larissa Area Office, as per DRC and donor regulations and procedures. This role has an area level focus and ensures compliance to DRC Greece procedures and guidelines. The role provides support and/or technical financial guidance to area level operations.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Finance Assistant responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- Daily accounting (bookkeeping) according to DRC financial handbook.
- Manage petty cash and clear cash advances upon request.
- Prepare monthly cash counts.
- Maintain proper filing of all financial documentation (vouchers, contracts, tender documents, etc.).
- Cash Box counting according to the financial handbook.
- Uploading payments to online banking system when needed or requested.
- Follows a given work plan.
- Routine record keeping.
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma Qualification in relevant field.
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience.
- English (Proficiency level)
- Greek (Proficiency level)
- Good communication skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel.
- Basic proficiency in PowerPoint and Word.
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines.
- ERP software experience will be an advantage.
- NGO experience will be an advantage.
Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills is a must, and a good sense of humor
Terms & Conditions
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Larissa (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply
Are you interested?
Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 16th of April 2021.
Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position, DRC has the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.