Job Title || Field Security Associate
Job ID || 26432
Location || Lesvos, Greece
Salary Grade || G6
Hardship Level || H
Family Location Type || Family
This position is open to all applicants.
Non-EU applicants can apply provided they have the required documents to work in Greece.
Interested applicants are invited to apply on-line either through MSRP self-service (candidates with MSRP access) or using the external Careers pages
Kindly note that only electronic applications submitted through the website mentioned above will be considered.
Duties and Qualifications
Field Security Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Field Security Associate provides support to all security related aspects of field operations including Staff, premises and asset security.
The incumbent is supervised by a Senior Officer (FSA or Head of Office) who defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners and Host Government Security authorities (HGS) in the area to facilitate the operation.
The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
– Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field as required in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; gather and analyse information about the security situation during field missions.
– Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place in accordance with the UNSMS policies, UNHCR Policies and the, Security Risk Management process for the designated area ;
– Conduct checks for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
– Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies.
– Monitor and supervise the guard force In accordance with relevant UNSMS policies and guidance.
– Assist UNHCR Protection Colleagues in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
– Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
– Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
– Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
– Maintain relations and cooperation with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies.
– Provide security briefings and training to UNHCR staff, and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant security risk management processes and measures for the country concerned to include security situation updates, , the warden system, communication notification and reporting procedures, travel planning procedures road air and fire safety.
– Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
– Provide security-related advice to the manager and other staff.
– Maintain liaison and build relationships with Host Government Security Forces and security counterparts.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
– 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Certificates and/or Licenses
– Security and Safety
Relevant Job Experience
High level of knowledge in the security field
– IT-Computer Literacy
– FS-Security Apparatus Knowledge
– FS-Field Security Operations
– FS-Security Analysis
– CO-Cross-cultural communication
– Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
– Organizational Awareness
– Teamwork & Collaboration
– Commitment to Continuous Learning
– Client & Result Orientation
– Empowering and Building Trust
– Judgement and Decision Making
– Analytical Thinking
– Political Awareness
– Change Capability and Adaptability
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
The closing date for submission is 7 May 2021 (Midnight, Geneva).
– No late applications will be accepted.
– Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
– Shortlisted candidates might be required to sit for a written test and will have to undergo an oral interview.
Kindly note that only electronic applications will be considered:
– Group 1 and Group 2 applicants are invited to apply online through the MSRP portal (self-service) and fill in the letter of interest.
– If you do not currently have access to the MSRP portal, kindly contact Global Service Desk ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
– Should you encounter technical issues or have questions during the online application, please contact the HR Unit at email@example.com well before the deadline.
UNHCR is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
UNHCR is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
Duration of Appointment
One-year Fixed-term Appointment (with possibility of extension).