Terre des hommes is seeking expression of interest from qualified and committed individuals:
Name of the position: Programme Manager
Location: Greece: Athens
Contract Type: National, Fixed Term Contract
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Activity rate: 100% (full time)
Reports to: Deputy Director
Supervises (Number of subordinates): Direct: 5
Deadline for applications: 27/10/2021
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency. With offices in 30 countries around the globe, Tdh delivers assistance to three million children each year.
In Greece, since 2016, Tdh has been providing an integrated child protection response ensuring access of asylum seeking refugee children and youth to safe, dignified care solutions through case management, protective accommodation, legal assistance, mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS), and life skills.
Tdh is working with the Greek civil society in order to strengthen and support the social services and safety nets that prevent children becoming vulnerable.
The Programs Manager takes part in the creation of the intervention strategy of Tdh in Greece and its implementation, in collaboration with the Deputy and Country Director.
The Programs Manager supervises various projects within the designated programmatic area and assists with the development, implementation and adjustments of project’s strategies to achieve their goals. S/he plays a key role in building the country’s knowledge and network, coordinating with the programs’ stake-holders, recruiting personnel, identifying financial resources and grants, and adapting delegation policies in collaboration with the country leader(s) and the programs’ team.
The Programs Manager contributes to the growth of the programs and ensures organizational efficiency through participation in the design, development, implementation and management of all programs work.
Knows and implements policies on security, child protection and fraud prevention.
1. Strategy and proposal development:
• Oversees and is responsible for implementation of the designated programs in the country, consisting of large/several grants, from fulfilment of substantive programmatic objectives to operational tasks;
• Oversees implementation of specific grants or projects and understands complex, financial and compliance requirements of the grants;
• Acts as a complexity reducer in the scope of the programme; transforms the programme strategy into operational framework with clear priorities, goals and actions;
• Leads the development and periodic review of the country intervention strategies in the
• Together with the Deputy Director and Country Director, develops the plans of the new project proposals analyzing all necessary impact factors and dependencies;
2. People management:
• Supervises the Project Coordinators and all aspects of their work, ensuring proper execution of the assigned tasks;
• Provides clear assignments and regular feedback to the his/her team
• Is responsible for the implementation of the relevant HR processes for the team s/he manages (recruitment, performance management, personnel development, termination, etc.);
• Ensures that appropriate technical knowledge is available to project staff;
• Actively participates in capacity building initiatives including basic and advanced training with a view to supporting and coaching programme professionals and community members;
• When relevant, manages partner organisations and ensures that partner activities are effectively and timely implemented and fulfil donor obligations;
• Ensures that learning opportunities are provided to Tdh staff, partner organisations, donor and other stakeholders;
3. Project Cycle Management:
• Follows Tdh PCM guidelines for the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation under the direction of country leader(s);
• Establishes clear strategy and direction for designated programme in collaboration with country leaders(s) and project teams;
• Leads the development of situation analysis in selected programmatic areas;
• Ensures the information sharing and coordination of programme activities with relevant public authorities, NGOs and community stakeholders;
• Manages the overall development and implementation of projects’ activities in fulfilment of the country objectives and in accordance with project obligations;
• Is responsible for the implementation and adherence to the programs’ procedures and policies;
• Overseeing the interim and final reports of projects, quarterly and annual reporting to Tdh HQ and other organisational reporting while ensuring high quality in the reporting with final approval by Deputy Director.
4. Budget management:
• Under the supervision of the Deputy Director, leads the development of programmatic budgets with the Project Coordinators;
• Is responsible for the programmatic and project budgets, as assigned by the Deputy and Country Directors
• Participates in the development of programmatic and project budgets, budget forecasting and project/programmatic budget follow-up with the Finance department, as requested by the Deputy Director;
5. Representation and networking:
• Act as representative of the delegation to stakeholders for all the matters concerning the
• Develops partnerships with relevant stakeholders to set up and promote the programs.
• Supports external communications and reporting related to the programs.
• Represents Tdh Hellas in the media (press, TV, radio)
• Ensures that the delegation is represented and actively contributes to the public and NGO coordination networks, committees and meetings.
• Jointly with the Advocacy and Communication Manager, contributes to the development and implementation of policy, advocacy and communication strategies
• Manage the tracking and analysis of key trends in their programmatic area
• Revision and contribution to strategic documents or research
• Take initiative to identifying gaps and proposing advocacy activities to be implemented
• Support the team in advocacy areas
• Support the Deputy Director in maintaining alliances with strategic networks at the national and/or regional levels working on children’s issues.
• Contribute to the identification and documentation of best practices and share lessons learned externally and internally
Education / Qualifications
University degree (Master’s or equivalent) from an accredited educational institution in a relevant field;
Strong expertise in the field of child rights and child protection, migration, juvenile justice, social inclusion programs;
Minimum 5 years of experience in programme management capacity, preferably with an international non-governmental organization;
Demonstrated experience working with large projects funded from institutional donors such as EU, Europe Aid, SDC, DFID, ECHO, UNICEF, other UN agencies;
Demonstrated experience coordinating activities with a variety of organizations, including universities, foundations, NGOs, private firms, international organizations, and other donors;
Experience in managing big, multi-thematic teams;
Financial management experience in developing and administering programme budgets;
Ability to prepare, present and negotiate complex and sensitive agreements and/or project proposals;
Ability to communicate skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor or technical consultant;
Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program goals;
Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail;
Ability to uphold high standards and punctuality under pressure;
Excellent oral and written skills in Greek and English
Fully conversant with usual IT tools.
Terre des hommes provides equal work conditions for men and women. Furthermore, for candidates with equivalent qualifications and for positions with responsibilities, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
If you are interested in this position, please send your CV and motivation letter in English with reference code 2021_ Programme_Manager at: email@example.com
Tdh will only consider complete online applications. Only short listed candidates will be contacted and the interview will be conducted in Greek/English.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer the post before the closing date.